Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Cool Vaikunta Ekadesi

The Tamil month of margazhi (December - January) is of great spiritual significance and noted for its numerous music concerts. One of the important festival occurred in this month is Vaikunta Ekadasi which is a festival dedicated to Lord Vishnu. The ‘Vaikunta Dwaram’ or ‘the gate to the heaven’ is opened on this day. This is the passage encircling the innermost sanctum of the Lord. Scores of devotees queue up to pass through the Gate of Vaikunta in the temples. I remember those days where I get up early in the morning, take a head bath and went to the temple to get the darshan of the Lord. This time being in US, I completely forgot this day. I realized how much I missed on this auspicious day, only after my boss reminds me about the day. When he asked me to join him for a visit to Sri Ranganathar Temple at Pomona, New York, what went on my mind was 'Eventhough, I forgot the day, God gave me a chance to visit him'.

I, my boss, his family and his friend were started in the morning to the temple. The day was not very cold. After an hour of travel, we suddenly felt like we were traveling in a heaven! Yes, the whole way was covered by snow. It seems like it snowed a day before. By the time we reached New York, It started snowing lightly. We had a pleasant drive on a snowy day with pleasing carnatic music. Everybody was talking about various carnatic singers, I never listened carnatic music in the past and had no idea about what they were talking, but quietly listened the music and got impressed on it. We finally reached the temple by 11 A.M and got a good darshan of the Lord. A Group of people recited the hymns sung by Azhvars called 'Nalayira Dhivyaprabandham'. Listening to those hymns after long time was pleasing to my mind and ears. After our darshan we had a prasadam which was delicious, of course temple prasadam would always be delicious and then started returning back.

During our return journey, we saw a park which was entirely covered by snow. We stopped there to spend some time enjoying in the ice. It was a nice experience for me to walk on the ice for the first time that too with an ordinary shoe. On seeing that place, my mind took me to the childhood days. Even, I liked to run and play in the ice like a child, but ended up with taking a snap of me lying down on the ice. We enjoyed walking on the ice, driving on the ice and took a lot of snaps with different postures. My Boss' two year old daughter really enjoyed more than us by playing in the ice, though she hadn't worn a gloves. She was very impressed and never wants to come out of the ice. After having a great time in the park, we finally started to return home. My boss' kid who sat next to me in the car had a lot of fun by playing with my cellphone, asking me to read her 'A B C D ....' book and keep on talking with me. Though I couldn't understand much of her speech, I ended up with saying 'Yes, Is it, oh, ...' to cheer her.

Our religious trip started with pleasant carnatic music, finally ends with lots of fun, enjoyment and rap songs. I would never forget the day especially the moments with my boss' kid who was continually talking and playing with me throughout the journey without disturbing her parents.

Photos

No comments: